Vancouver’s 125th birthday is on Wednesday, April 6, 2011 and the City of Vancouver will host “Birthday Live” – a free public celebration from 2pm to 10pm at Jack Poole Plaza, site of the Olympic Cauldron.
Celebration highlights include:
- Main stage performances by 54-40, Leela Gilday, Bend Sinister, Uzume Taiko and the Vancouver Bach Choir
- An interactive dance party with the mmHoP Dancers
- Official ceremonies including a Coast Salish Witness Ceremony by the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, speeches by Mayor Gregor Robertson and other dignitaries, Olympic Cauldron Lighting and a giant birthday cake.
- Street hockey games organized by Five Hole for Food with donations going to the Greater Vancouver Food Bank
- ‘Time Drifts’ – a spectacular video art piece by artist Philipp Geist that will flood Jack Poole Plaza with stunning visual imagery
Join Vancouver in celebrating its 125th birthday. Download complete schedule information for Birthday Live – it is available in this handy information sheet that includes a detailed run-down of artist performances and activities, a site map, transit and cycling information and more.